Friday, June 27, 2008

The Real Breakfast of Champions

Wheaties stink. Really, honestly, they kind of taste like nothing and if you're anything like me you end up getting caught loading them up with sugar when you do eat them so that you don't feel like you're re-hydrating dried out wheat pulp in your mouth.

NOW, Germany has great breakfast food, something you can really build your day on! A pretty typical, traditional German breakfast involves bread, butter, and some lunch meat. YES, thats right, cold-cuts for breakfast. For the first couple weeks I'll be within easy walking distance of a local bakery (which is good) so my breakfast ritual literally involves me making my daily walk to the bakery, deciding on which hard rolls to buy, and then making a couple open faced sandwiches for myself out of my prize.

To the average American... this may sound slightly revolting and less healthy than just grabbing a box of Cheerios from the cabinet and sloshing them around in a bowl of milk. But really when you think of it, its really not that bad for you. The roll is a pretty decent source of complex carbs & fiber (especially if you get a true Vollkorn, or whole-grain roll, delicious... and good for you). So long as you have the European norm of a piece or two of lunch meat on your sandwich you're not doing too badly on fat, and getting some decent protein to boot. Throw in a glass of juice or milk and you're set.

As for taste. Any kind of objection you'd have to it is honestly mental block. There is nothing so good as a Broetchen in the morning. And honestly, my breakfast ritual leaves me feeling full, really after not eating that much (one Broetchen and a few cold cuts... and maybe a piece of cheese)... and it lasts me through when I eat lunch.

And for the record. German cereal is pretty good too, if you just can't bring yourself to eat lunch meat for breakfast. Check out Musli if you can find it, or something like it in the states. (Its kind of like the Kashi cereals).

Alright. I'm out. I need to get some other work done today. I think I get to tally up sport equipment today!

No comments: