Monday, June 15, 2009

Pompeii

Ok --- so we've officially moved into the "crazy" part of the year at work. I'm feeling pretty good about it, and relishing the challenges of the month. At this point no news is good news in that I haven't hit any kind of serious hurdle that can't be overcome. There are challenges that I know about (finishing Adventure Day strong is one of them... actually its the biggest one of them) but I'm feeling alright about where I am in my work right now.

SO... I'm going to post something I've been thinking about for the past two weeks. While on the cruise I actually got a chance to walk around the ruins of Pompeii... which is something that I've wanted to do for a long time now. You don't get a feel for how big the town really was, or a feeling for the utter destruction until you've walked around in its ruins and gotten a feel for it. You kind of expect to go in and see a couple of streets of "houses" and whatnot... but when you start walking around you realize just how BIG everything was. How much time and money had to be spent building the temples, and baths, and houses. How many people were living out their daily lives, year after year. And it was wiped out in an instant one morning when Vesuvius exploded... gone. Literally thousands of people wiped off the face of the planet in an instant, buried for thousands of years until "rediscovered."

No comments: