Monday, May 11, 2009

On The Road

I just finished Jack Kerouac's novel On The Road this past weekend. It was kind of a trip. I'm really not sure how I "missed" this classic mid-century American novel until now. But I loved it. I do feel I need to add that its probably not for everyone. One of surprising offshoots of it was a surprising feeling of homesickness for the wide open American road. I don't want to make it sound like I'm dying of "homesickness" but something in the novel made me want to throw my bags in the back of a car and start driving. Everything is so close together over here - you can hop between major cities quickly, quickly enough that you're never all that far from anything. I never thought I'd say this - but I miss the cornfields, and being able to take a walk through the woods without seeing other people.

No comments: